Josh Lee, a freight handler in ABC Shipping Lines in California, was exposed to carbon monoxide fumes on December 2, 2019, Monday, from around 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM. He was at the unloading bay B, helping unload some freight from various containers with the help of two forklift operators: Kit Stevens and Donald Summers, neither of which complained of symptoms.
During unloading, Lee suddenly experienced lightheadedness and nausea. He informed his supervisor, Donna Martin, that he thought he was ill.
Martin noticed his symptoms were consistent with CO exposure, so she walked over to the area and felt the air quality seemed off. She ran a sensor (Portable Direct Reading Monitor) and discovered that CO levels were on the high end but within the acceptable limit: 30 PPM.
Stevens and Summers were ordered to turn off powered vehicles and sit in fresh air for an hour while the ventilation system could be examined.